Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Need some suggestions

Carter is doing a great job of sleeping through the night. The only problem is his definition of "through the night". What I am saying is we put him down anywhere between 8 and 9 each night and we don't hear a peep from him all night. The problem is his morning is at 5:30. That's right every morning like clockwork he is awake ready for the day at 5:30. We would really like it if he could make it another hour. Any suggestion on how to get him to do this?

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Well, I always put my kids down at 6 (that's when I go run all my errands, so its a good thing they go to bed that early!) and they don't get up until at least 8, and most of the time I have go wake them up. I'm just not sure what to tell you. My kids (all 3 of them) have always required a LOT of sleep. I thought all kids were this way. Hmm...interesting :) #4 better not do this to me!!!

Laurie said...

girl..its called having a 3 month old! The fact that he sleeps that much is a small miracle!! Plus he is prob. starving by 5:30. Once he gets a little bit bigger and can hold more in his tummy he will sleep longer.

Jacquie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacquie said...

I hate to say this but he is sleeping for 9 hours at night and that's the best your going to get for now. When he turns 6 months and you start doing cereal, he'll probably sleep longer for you in the morning. Lynlee NEVER slept that good! Just go to bed with him so you get 9 hours too :).

Anonymous said...

When is the last feeding you are giving him? With mine I would feed at 7-7:30 pm then put to bed around 8 and then I would wake them up just enough to eat right before I went to bed 10:30-11ish and they would sleep till about 7 am. Once they got closer to 6 months I took out that late night snack and they continued to sleep through the night.

Hope that helps!
Claudia

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily. We have babies almost the same age. Camryn just turned 4 months old. I think that Carter is doing great! Camryn is just about the same, except her last feeding is usually about 7 or 7:30. Half the time at 5:30, I pop in her paci and she goes back to sleep until 6:30 or 7, and half the time at 5:30 she is ready to eat. But she does go back to sleep after that...I think that Carter and Camryn are both really good sleepers! I know lots of 3 month olds who don't sleep anywhere close to 9 hours. And like everyone else said, once he starts solids, he'll probably sleep longer. Congrats, by the way...he is super cute!

Amy Jill said...

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, girl! He's sleeping awesome. BUT, you could try the good ole "dream feed". Just barely wake him (in a dark room, very gently) enough to feed him a few ounces right before you go to bed. If you're lucky, that will let his little tummy fend off the hunger for an extra hour. I routinely did this with all of mine, and it worked great...but they all still went through a phase where 5 to 5:30 was wake up time.:) Good luck.

Amy Jill said...

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, girl! He's sleeping awesome. BUT, you could try the good ole "dream feed". Just barely wake him (in a dark room, very gently) enough to feed him a few ounces right before you go to bed. If you're lucky, that will let his little tummy fend off the hunger for an extra hour. I routinely did this with all of mine, and it worked great...but they all still went through a phase where 5 to 5:30 was wake up time.:) Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I am up at 5:15 everyday to get ready for work and on the road by 6:15. Too bad I don't live closer because I could come over and babysit for an hour. :)

Melissa