Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Jury Duty update

Ok, so as I said in a previous post I had jury duty yesterday...well it was a bust. That's right I get to the court house at 8:15 ready to do my civic duty. They shove about 200 of us into a room and we watch the Fox news channel on a big screen with the volume turned up probably 12 decimals too loud. After sitting there for about 45 minutes they came in and make us watch some cheesey video about why we are there. Then they ask if anyone has any reason they feel they should be excused and to bring it to the judge. About 25 people walked up and talked to the judge and then he let some go and some had to sit back down. I was very curious why some of these people were getting to leave or being forced to stay.

Anyway, they then said that the courts would call down when/if they need jurors. So we wait patiently until they come in an call the first 49 folks to go to questioning by the lawyers. I was sitting there anxiously awaiting my name to be called but of course it wasn't. So we kept waiting to hear about the other courts. About 10:15 they come and and say that no other court needs a jury so we are dismissed.

To be honest I was pretty bummed. I mean I didn't even get to be questioned by the lawyers or nothing. I just sat and watched an annoyingly loud TV for two hours. I'm not mad about the waiting part I just really wanted to see the process of how it worked.

The worst part was my stupid conscious wouldn't allow me to take the rest of the day off so I went in to work. I know employee of the year!

2 comments:

Lori said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. I was super excited to get summoned too..it was summertime and I had nothing much else to do. I actually got picked to be on the jury!! The trial lasted 3 days and I was so interested the whole time. Mine was an aggrivated assult trial. I felt very CSI!

Jacquie said...

Sorry about jury duty!

Roxanne Davis emailed me to tell me that Amy is getting married. Email me so I can get your newest email address and give you more details!!

jacquiergraves@yahoo.com