Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day Five

Hey blogger friends.


Adalyn is doing great and improving every day. She is back to eating the amount she was before she got sick. She has continued to be fever free and she is getting back to her spunky little self.

It was determined that she needs 10 days of IV antibiotics. As much as I tried we were not able to get the PICC line yesterday or today. Therefore, it looks like it would be Monday or Tuesday before we could get on the schedule. Since Monday would be day 7 of IV antibiotics (and after consulting with two doctors) we have pretty much decided to forgo the PICC line and finish the 10 days of antibiotics through the IV in her hand. While we don't like being in the hospital this long due to exposure to all the yucky that is in a hospital, we felt that it was more of a risk with the sedation for the PICC line for only three more days of antibiotics. Plus, she is tolerating the IV in her hand extremely well. Typically IV's in babies her age only last two to three days. She made it five days with her first one so we are hopeful that the second one they put in this morning will make it another five days. We will watch how she does and reevaluate on Monday morning but as of now it looks like we will be in the hospital until Thursday or Friday to finish her treatment.

I want to leave you with a encounter I had last night while I was leaving the hospital to go see my other two kiddos. I got in the elevator with this lady and we chatted a few minutes on the ride down. As we got off the elevator we both let out a big sigh. I kind of chuckled and said something along the lines of how mom's let out a big sigh as we are leaving the hospital. And she replied "yeah I just have a few minutes to run home. We came in this morning for chemo and didn't expect to be spending the night". It made me think that while this has been hard I am very blessed that my baby will make a full recovery. I could be dealing with something much more difficult.

1 comment:

The Cox Family said...

Sorry to hear about all this! Sounds like she is in good hands though!